Friday, 13 June 2014

One of many obligations....

My surprise 60th Birthday party for Kinjo sensei' - a chance to give something back
There is,I believe, an obligation to give something back to the people who have helped you make progress. Your sensei is an obvious example, but you would do well to remember your sempai too, as well as your regular training partners. In fact, without giving the matter too much thought, you may be surprised to discover just how many people your progress has been helped by.

As a member of the Jundokan dojo in Okinawa for over twenty-years, I've never been short of seriously good sempai; people who have so often taken the time to help me come to grips with the many things wrong with my karate. I have always made sure I gave something back for the gifts of friendship and inspiration I have received from them.

There are people involved in teaching karate who only take. They sometimes appear to be giving, but that's only because they have already taken your money. My dear old mum would often tell me that it was better to give than to receive, but as a kid I didn't believe that for a second: now I know better. The Jundokan was founded by a man who always gave more than he took, so it's sad for me now to witness some people associated with his dojo who are addicted to taking as much as they can.