Friday, 9 May 2014

Lucky...lucky...lucky!

After kobudo training with Akamine sensei - Shimbukan dojo, 2013
It's a common enough statement to hear when first time visitors arrive at the dojo....."You're lucky to have such a nice dojo in such a great place." Yes indeed, that's me...lucky, lucky, lucky!

When I first entered the Higaonna dojo in Makishi back in 1984, I don't remember ever telling him how lucky he was to have a nice dojo in the converted garage under his mother's house. And eight years later, when I entered the Jundokan dojo for the first time, I can't recall telling Miyazato sensei how lucky he was to have such a nice dojo either.

Perhaps it's because authentic karate/kobudo dojo are so rare outside Okinawa and Japan, that visitors often issue such a statement, I'm not sure. I do know one thing though, their lack of good manners does them and their instructor little credit. 

When the old Shimbukan dojo was demolished a few years ago and the new dojo built next door, I'm not sure what Akamine sensei would have thought of me had I entered his new dojo for the first time and told him how "lucky" he was....

P.S.  Yes, I know I posted about this same subject last year: but it's still happening!