Thursday, 12 December 2013

The Jundokan Way....

Helping Brian (New Zealand) to better understand kururunfa kata 
 The international nature of the gathering in Okinawa brought with it the expected differences in method and application of goju-ryu principles. But, with so many people from so many different countries, each with varying degrees of contact with the Jundokan over the years, it was hardly surprising that some visitors had a better understanding of the way karate is practised at the Jundokan than others.

An "A-Ha!" moment
I thought the level of karate was generally very good; a few individuals stood out as being exceptionally gifted, while others had me wondering how on earth they had been promoted to the level their belt indicated. On the whole though, I thought there was far more excellent karate on display then not, and in a group this size, that was heartening.

Jundokan -  a private dojo with an international following
With the passing of time, the number of Jundokan affiliates around the world with direct links to Eiichi Miyazato sensei has diminished. Nevertheless, the Jundokan remains, for many, the "home" of goju-ryu in Okinawa. Personally, I don't see it like that at all, for there are other schools of goju-ryu in Okinawa passing on the legacy of Chojun Miyagi in one form or another, and they are deserving of respect because of that.

My connections to the Jundokan today stem directly from my past relationship with Eiichi Miyazato sensei, the friendships that have been built over decades with my sempai and teachers, and the continuing support I give to the present Kancho and the ideals upon which the Jundokan dojo was founded. I would respectfully request others outside Okinawa to also cultivate their relationship with the dojo based on the adoption of Jundokan ideals and methods of training: rather than grading certificates.

If that last bit offends you...then yes, I was talking to you!