Wednesday, 11 December 2013

The Seminars Day...2


Ganaha sensei explaining the finer points of  shisochin kata
Day two got underway with two hours of training beginning at 10.00 a.m. and as on the day before the students were split into three groups, kyu and shodan trained together, as did the nidan, sandan, and yondan; and finally, godan, rokudan, and nanadan practiced in a group on their own. It was a strategy that worked well and ensured the training being done was either within everyone's limits, or stretching them a little.

Robert and Mike (Alasaka) working on a kata application
The two hour sessions often ran over, not that anyone noticed, everyone was too busy training. But a schedule had to be kept because we weren't training in the Jundokan. Lunch (bento) was once again provided before we launched back into the final two hours of training. I heard a few whispered complaints about the food, but you know what, I thought the people complaining let themselves down. The essence of karate is experienced, not bought and paid for. Why any karateka wastes their time whinging when things don't exactly suit them, is beyond me. If all it takes is lunch to get you rattled, just think what a kick in the head would do! 

This photo (with the poem added) arrived in my email today
Today, December 11th , is a day to remember for everybody connected to the Jundokan, and the reason we all gathered in Okinawa last month; without Miyazato sensei's efforts long ago the dojo would not exist. I just want to make something clear once again, I was by no means a student of any importance as far as Miyazato sensei was concerned. He inspired me to take a different path as far as my thinking and appreciation of karate goes, and he opened my eyes to much of the superficial nonsense that continues to suffocate karate for many today. Sensei was often very blunt and to the point, and plenty of people didn't like him or his teaching methods: I did!