Saturday, 14 December 2013

Demonstration...

The Australians demonstrating shisochin kata
I'm not a performer, it gives me no joy whatsoever to stand before people and "strut-my-stuff", but sometimes that is exactly what is asked for, and so I do my best to do what has to be done....but I don't like it! The day after training finished, promotion tests for dan grades were held at the Budokan in the morning, and then in the afternoon a demonstration was staged for guests and the general public.

"Whoooo...!"
Each country in turn took centre stage. In Okinawa, you never know who is in the audience, but one things for sure, you're been observed by a very well-informed crowd. I spotted my kobudo sensei, Hiroshi Akamine straight away (gulp!); but there were other famous faces sitting there too. Sensei like Minoru Higa of the Kyudokan, and Makoto Gibu sensei of the Butokukan were also present, as were Mr. Nakasone from Shureido and Miguel da Luz of the okkb.

It was clear some of the countries had been working on their demonstration for weeks, if not months; we Australians on the other hand (in the spirit of , She'll be right!"), got together with just twenty-minutes to go. With one of our number "chucking a sicky", a group of five performed shisochin kata to my count, and then I demonstrated oyo-bunkai with Rob. I don't remember much about our demonstration other than I was glad it was soon over.

Sunagawa sensei 
The final demonstrations of the afternoon were given by members of the Jundokan dojo. Several of the seniors performed kata, as did a number of the younger generation. Their displays were simple, uncomplicated, and left little to the imagination; this was Jundokan karate on display and at it's best.

Tetsunosuke Yasuda sensei - 88 years young
The very last demonstration of the day was given by Yasuda sensei when he performed tensho kata. When you watch karateka like him, and in Okinawa there are quiet a few, you have to wonder about karateka in their 30's and 40's blabbing on about age related complaints....what is their problem?