Friday, 20 December 2013

At the Shimbukan...

After training at the Shimbukan, Tomigusku, Okinawa, c2011
Since 2006, I've not only trained in karate when I visit Okinawa, I also practise kobudo at the Shimbukan dojo with my teacher, Hiroshi Akamine sensei. As you might expect by now, I usually forget to bring my camera along when I go training, so for the most part my visits go undocumented...at least in pictorial form.

This visit saw a little change to my usual duel training schedule. Due to the special event going on at the Jundokan, and a number of meetings I had to attend on a couple of evenings, I had to miss two training nights at the Shimbukan that I otherwise would have been able to make. I'm still working on that old ninja trick of being in two places at the same time, but have yet to manage it.

As always the training was difficult, at least as far as I was concerned. I find kobudo does not come easily to me. I get the ideas being taught, and I can remember the kata fairly quickly, but none of that brings me any closer to having a good (natural) feel for the weapons I train with. The answer is, of course, more training....I know that.

Akamine sensei offered me a lot  of good natured encouragement while fulfilling his role as a hard task master who insisted on things being done right! I was also fortunate, one evening, to attract the attention of Kinjo sensei, who kindly took me under his wing for 45 minutes of one-on-one instruction...bliss! I am indeed fortunate to be a member of two great dojo in Okinawa...and I never forget that!