Wednesday, 18 September 2013

Making a Comeback

The shomen at the Jundokan dojo - Asato, Okinawa
In November the Jundokan dojo will fill with visitors from around the world, gathering to celebrate the 60th anniversary of the dojo opening as well as the 15th anniversary of the passing of it's founder, Eiichi Miyazato sensei. There have been many such gatherings over the years but I have always avoided them. It's not that I'm anti-social, although I do dislike crowds, it's more a question of appreciating that my karate is a personal activity and has little in common with masse turnouts.

I'm looking forward to meeting many of the foreign affiliates to the Jundokan for the first time, having corresponded with a number of them by email over the years. This will be a first for me, and probably a last too. I prefer to visit the dojo, train, learn from my sempai, and friends, and return home having bathed in the atmosphere of the Jundokan for another year.

When the dojo is full of visitors, it will be full of agendas too. I have no doubt that some visitors will be there to grow, while others will be their to gain. Some will promise little and deliver a lot, while others will do the exact opposite.....I only hope my trusting sempai will be able to spot the difference.