Saturday, 4 May 2013

Okinawan Culture & Tradition



As the last few posts have been a bit serious, I thought it was time for a little relaxation and inspiration. When I'm asked why I continue to return to Okinawa (the implication being that after 40 years, surely I must know karate by now ? ), I am always quick to let people know that it's not just the training I go for, but to spend time with friends, and experience the culture of Ryukyu: this is what draws me back.

As Charles Goodin sensei of Hawaii so rightly pointed out in his lectures on Okinawan karate, in order to understand karate properly it is necessary to study it through the culture from which it emerged.....this video offers you a glimpse of that culture. For the best effect, go to full screen and put the sound up a little!