Wednesday, 9 January 2013

Tasmania on Fire

One of the many buildings lost in the on-going Bush fires
This past week has seen a number of huge bush fires burning across my island home, and now there are some very large fires burning out of control across a number of mainland states as well...nature can be beautiful, but it can also be indiscriminately cruel at times. As I write, there has been no loss of life, but over 100 homes are gone, and countless livestock and wildlife lost.

Over the past few days I have received many emails enquiring about my safety. I'm very grateful to those who have taken the time to write. Apart from one large fire burning about ten miles away to the north-west of me, the really devastating fires have been in the south-east of the island, and a long way from my home. These are the fires many would have seen on the t.v. as the images were beamed around the world.

This map of Tasmania was issued earlier this week, showing the danger zones (in red)
When nature flexes it's muscles we humans have no other option but to listen. If my karate training has taught me anything at all, it is to listen to what my life is telling me. Right now, it's telling me I'd better have a plan to get my wife and me to safety should the wind change direction.

Thank you again to all those who have written!