Monday, 2 July 2012

Ishigu - the original dojo floor

The original Shinseidokan dojo - Perth, Western Australia
As you may know, I'm doing a lot of training outside right now. Not the best time of year to be doing this as it's mid-winter where I live, and nature is always happy to remind me who the boss is! So far, I'm holding my own but I have to admit, I'll be glad to get back inside.

I've been thinking about the difference in my footwork and stances of late, they have had to change (adapt) due to the uneven ground I'm training on. Then yesterday, I get a call from a student who is away at University, and he begins to talk about the changes he's making to his footwork, now that he no longer has a smooth wooden floor to train on.

Then last night, I take a look at the latest episode of "Land of Karate" over on the Okinawan Karate Liaison Bureau web page (look in the Links), and find Uema sensei from the Shobukan dojo in Shuri talking about Ishigu: the stone floor dojo that he trained in as a boy. I have to smile when I stumble on to something new, only to find, there's nothing new about it at all!