Sunday, 10 June 2012

Is it just me, or.........

(The Old) Kousaku Yokata sensei in fighting mode
As many of you would know I write regularly for various magazines, it's something I've done for almost thirty-years. Recently, the latest issue of two of these magazines arrived in my mailbox and I was immediately struck (no pun intended) by the similarity in the postures on display on each front cover. Compare the cover above with the one below.

(The New) Tony Blauer , also ready to fight 
So...is it just me, or are these two postures the same. I'm not talking about the the exact position of the hands, but the mentality going on behind the eyes. If either one of these martial artists knocked you out, would it matter that you'd been hit by a sixty year old shotokan sensei, or a much younger mixed martial artist?

Gichin Funakoshi sensei once said,"The old, the new...it's a matter of time." I think these two magazine covers bear witness to that, very important, fundamental truth.